Monday, September 8, 2014

The LeftoversThe Leftovers by Tom Perrotta
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have a hard time giving books five stars, but with this one, I do so without reserve.  I read this book because I was simply engrossed in the HBO series and I wanted more.  Something about the darkness and the unknowing in the show felt like home to me and the book delivered the same.  As a person who is addicted to observing the human experience, this book could not have been more in my wheelhouse.  One of the things I love the most about this story is that all of the characters are reacting to an unexplainable trauma, and all of them are right in how they process their grief.  It couldn't possibly get more raw than the meandering thoughts of a woman whose entire family inexplicably disappeared who arrives at the conclusion, "Now that she knew the truth, she could see that she'd lost a little less than she thought she had, which was almost like getting something back."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment